Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Tips and Tricks for Getting Your Cat to the Vet



Hi! Niko here, my mom is a Veterinary Assistant at West Ridge Animal Hospital and I wanted to write an article about how to get other cats to the Hospital stress-free and happy, using my own personal preferences! I’m known as a “hider” and a “night walker” with a loud voice. I am a Siamese kitty so that probably goes without saying. When people I don’t know come to my house I hide and I don’t come out until I feel safe. I also have quite a few health concerns including bad hips from previous dislocation, trouble with my knees and a heart murmur. All this and I am only two years old!  I know it sounds scary, but don’t feel sorry for me because I’m in the BEST hands with my mommy and West Ridge Animal Hospital. With all these issue I used to be absolutely terrified of the cat carrier because I knew when that came out I was going for my check-ups. My mom put a few of these tips into place and worked with me and now I’m glad to say I’m not so afraid anymore!
I am going to share with you a few tips and tricks that have worked for me that my family did and has changed me from a scaredy cat to a brave cat!

  • Bring your cat in a carrier, even ones on leashes still get scared when it involves coming to the vet or even a car ride. Coming in a carrier is best because there are often other animals in the waiting room, both cats, dogs, and exotic creatures. It also helps cats to feel safe if they are secure.
  • Use Feliway wipes or sprays to scent the carrier to help stimulate the calming hormone they produce normally from cheek “marking”. Feliway is an all-natural product that you can get directly at your vet hospital. West Ridge Animal Hospital is also offering samples for preventive care visits. For more information on this product please view their website: http://www.feliway.com
  • Leave the carrier out for a few days before placing your cat into it so it knows it is not scary. Cats might be suspicious or avoid this area at first, but give it time. Eventually they will see the carrier as another piece of their environment.
  • Placing treats or some type of yummy wet food inside the carrier will help show your cat the carrier isn’t scary and provides them with a treat. As your cat gets more comfortable around the carrier let them come and go without closing them in. If your cat refuses to venture inside of it, try putting the treat on the outside or close by at first and gradually moving it closer.
  • Bring your cat along in small car rides for 5-10 minutes in a carrier to help desensitize them to the car. Take your kitty to the mail box and back or around the block for starters. Do not leave them alone in the car, keep the music soothing and calm, and always reward their good behavior.

No comments: